Monday, October 20, 2008

Halloween Projects


Halloween Projects at the Lee house:

My favorite projects to do with Gwen are painting projects. I give her lots of paper and paint colors. Then after the paint is dry I cut out the pieces and put them together so they resemble something. I like it because I can let her do her free form toddler thing. She likes to help me tape or glue them together too.

Today we made candy corn, witch's, bats, and Frankenstein. We put them up in our front window.


I also put some paint on Maggie's foot to make candy corn foot prints. Brown across the toes and pad, orange across the arch and yellow on the heel. I didn't take a photo of it.


It was a messy project, but it was contained to the highchair and the bathtub.

We also have made some ghosts and hung them in the front yard. It's a simple project that uses 1 large white garbage bag, 16 plastic grocery bags, 8 twisty ties, yarn, and masking tape.

  1. take a large plastic garbage bag and cut off the sides and bottom.
  2. Then cut the 2 remaining pieces into fourths, so each bag made 8 rectangles.
  3. bunch up 2 plastic grocery bags and placed them in the center of 1 rectangular piece of the cut up garbage bag.
  4. fold the rectangle in half with the grocery bags still in the center.
  5. Use a twisty tie to keep the bags in place and to form the head of the ghost.
  6. Tie some yarn around the neck of the ghost and use tape to help the ghost hang straight.

Finally we decorated our pumpkins without cutting them so they don't rot out before the big day. I got some ideas from http://jas.familyfun.go.com/crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=12055


I used scrap fabric and sewing pins to make the witch's hat & hair and Frankenstein's hair, mouth, ears and nose.

Here is a photo from the website of more ideas.

3 comments:

Ratliffs said...

Such great ideas!! Thanks for sharing! The paintings things sounds awesome! We may have to try that one! And I love your pumpkins...too cute :D

Loughmiller's said...

I love IT! This is great to see all these fun crafts for kids.

Bri said...

I received some ?'s about the construction of the paint project, so here's a little more info on it. I just used white card stock so it wouldn't rip and tempera/poster paint, (Gwen is an aggressive painter :) but you could just as easily use printer paper. For the candy corn, I just put a strip of brown, orange and yellow paint across the paper and let Gwen mix it and finger paint however she wanted to. For the other creatures, I cut out my own templates, traced them onto the painted paper after it dried and taped them together on the back side with scotch tape. But you could use a glue stick too. The lip's on the witch and the eyes of the bat were shiny because they were done with nail polish, any other shine on the photos is just because I'm not a great photographer. The mouth of Frankenstein was done with a permanent marker.